Revisiting Everything

Well, the new year is upon us! It's a perfect time to reflect on how we've done with our resolutions from last year as we plan new ones for 2020. In that vein, I'm coming full circle with this blog, by revisiting an old topic.

Toward the close of 2018, I had chosen my word to focus on for 2019: everything. I wasn't entirely sure what that would mean, but that's what I felt drawn to. While I had spit balled a couple of ideas in that blog post, they only felt like that - sketches of ideas. I had noted that "everything" didn't just mean surrendering everything. It also involved God's presence in every situation, rejoicing in everything, and knowing everything that is good comes from Him. But I didn't quite know where to go with all of that. So, I unknowingly embarked on a mission to answer two questions:
Is there something that unifies all of the ways the word "everything" is used in the spiritual life? Is it possible to grow in "everything" as a concept?
It took me nearly all 12 months to realize that was what I had been asking. And, oddly enough, it was at that same time that I discovered the questions that I had answers. They didn't come to me sitting at church or during one of my quiet moments in my room, but in conversation with a friend.

We were talking about her battle with her health. She was debating which route to take next in trying to seek healing. Essentially, she was choosing which emotional struggle she would enter into as she moved forward. As we were having this conversation, I said something that I know never would have come to mind a year prior, "Talk to a priest to try to sort out which route will lead you to holiness. In the end, that is what matters." After I said this, it struck me that I had been learning a deep truth without even realizing it:
Growing in holiness is orienting everything in our lives toward God. 
That was the link between all the notions of "everything" I had encountered in my quest for 2019. Each time I bumped into the word "everything" in the spiritual context, it fit that theme. The statement itself might not seem that mind-blowing, but the application is transformative.

Orienting everything in your life toward God means you let Him into everything. When you are at decision points, you consult Him. You let Him have a say in how you spend your money. You give Him first priority when planning your day. When you first try on your outfit for the day, you ask your heavenly Father, "What do You think?" You decide to be aware of Him on your commute, as you buy your groceries, when you're hanging out with friends, and when you're cleaning. You give Him the space to interject whenever He desires - to be the king of your life.

That can be an intimidating step sometimes. We all have our areas where this seems easy and others that we'd rather leave God out of it. Maybe we aren't sure what it would look like or how to even start. But, like I said, I didn't know where to start either. I just kept praying and trying to respond when I felt God giving me an invitation. And, eventually, I found I had grown. It wasn't without its struggles and failures, and I definitely am not done growing yet. But the growing pains are worth it. After all, that is what an eternity in Heaven is - complete orientation toward the Lord, contemplating Him and basking in His goodness, love, and mercy.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Who Do I Think I Am?

Work v. Play

Wibbly Wobbly, Timey Wimey