Grandma's Advice


Going through some notebooks, I came across an outline for a paper I wrote back in high school. I had interviewed my grandma about what it was like when she was my age. Some of the questions were pretty basic. What did you do for fun? How would you describe your high school self? What was high school like back then? But one question made me pause.
What advice do you have for my generation?


Unfortunately, I did not take the most complete of notes. However, the little I did record struck me. In all caps, I wrote "SLOW DOWN." Being a generally busy person, it made me sigh. I don't know about you, but I have a hard time slowing down. Unless I go on a retreat, I don't know how to hit pause. When I do have breaks, I don't know how to use them. My list of books to read, places to go, and creative projects to do only seem to increase. During the school year, I am constantly on the move. While I used to sit and journal at least monthly, now I do so maybe once a semester.

The result has been a feeling of disconnectedness. That I keep missing something that I had once known when I did find rest. But I cannot place what it is. All I can feel is the pull to rest and take the time to search my heart and find it. But I always seem to find a reason why I can't. Work to do. Dishes to clean. Food to make. Emails and messages that need to be sent. Small projects to complete. The list can continue for as long as I want. And when I do have free time, I don't take it to pause and reflect or do those restful things. Instead, I fill my head with Netflix, Facebook, or games on my phone. This is not rest. This is numbing.

Numbing comes fast. You don't really need to be in the mood for binge-watching TV shows or scrolling endlessly through your phone. It just needs to be opened and then you're there. We detach from our own lives to enter the fantasy-world of television, drop in on the tiny snippets of other people's lives, or to simply zone out with a repetitive game. It's easier than asking yourself questions that you may or may not have the answers to. Not necessarily because you're unwilling to, but because it takes more energy. It takes a calming of the mind to be honest with yourself, and that level of decompression takes time to reach. And it requires setting down that phone that seems to always be within reach.

Some days, the numbing option is easier to turn down than others. Some days, I can say that I have taken some time to slow down a tad. I do spend time talking with my roommate(s) about life - daily activities, reflections on personalities, ideal scenarios to world and personal events. I do allow myself to stop reading a chapter if a passage stands out to me, and try to find out why. But I do not often seek out moments like these. Not like I did before college.

The weeks seem to go by a little faster each year. My summer, my senior year, my time abroad, my whole undergrad - it all flew by. And each year I spent a little less time intentionally taking everything in. Beginnings and endings seem to be the only spots where I try to take things slow. Both times being moments of calibration. One an adjustment to a new chapter of life. The other a time to look back and tie a bow on an experience. The trick is learning how to do this in the middle, too. To pay attention to life unfolding and how my story is being written instead of experiencing it as utter chaos or monotony.  It has been done before. Now is the time to learn to do it again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Who Do I Think I Am?

What Am I Supporting?

Work v. Play