Why Fast?

A few years ago, I overheard a conversation in a locker room that has stuck with me. A girl was telling her friend that her mom was fasting for Lent and how she thought fasting was pointless and nonsensical. As the Lenten season comes to a close, I want to address this common sentiment using my own observation and personal experience (not by pointing to Bible verses -- but if you want that, click here). First, even outside of a religious context, people fast. Take, for one example, the environmental movement’s Meatless Monday. Here, it is seen as a good thing to forgo meat one day per week in order to mitigate that industry's environmental impact. This parallels Catholics’ year-round observance of "meatless Friday," by which we recognize our failings and continual need for mercy and conversion.* Here's another example those of you who don't observe Meatless Mondays might relate to. When preparing for a delicious large meal, many people will skip a meal or eat less in preparation in order to more fully enjoy the banquet. In a similar way, during the Lenten season we choose to withhold from ourselves something we desire in order to more fully participate in the festal Easter season (50 days of celebration, by the way). This is all to say that the basic concept of fasting is more common than many people realize. Now, I want to make a distinction between dieting and fasting. These things could appear similar at first glance. One key difference, however, is that not all fasting involves food. There are reasons why it often does, but I'm not going to get into that (look here if you're interested). Another difference is intention. In a religious context, fasting is done for something beyond oneself. Even if it's for the sake of acquiring virtue, that is ultimately a goal at the service of others. In contrast, dieting's primary end is oriented toward the self. This leads into the third distinction: one of the fruits of fasting is detachment from worldly things and a refocusing on the divine. Dieting detaches us from one type of material good in a way that often upholds attachment to the body. I don't intend to demean those who make changes to their eating habits due to health concerns; however, I do hold that dieting often hyper-focuses a person on their body, for better or for worse. Thus, fasting is a fundamentally different practice. So, now that I've addressed that fasting isn't nonsensical, I want to talk a bit about why it isn't pointless. Fasting not only involves the physical, but it also involves the mind. You know the phrase "you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone"? With fasting, it's more like "you don't know how attached you are 'til it's off-limits". It involves more frequent self-denial than you'd want to admit.** But, ironically, it also offers you greater freedom. You gain the ability to actually choose what is best for you in relation to what you've given up - that is, true self-control. You also build up your “sacrifice muscle,” preparing yourself to be able to make other sacrifices when it is needed. Fasting helps you appreciate what you've given up even more than you did before. As the disordered affection subsides, blessings pour forth. Take my Lenten experience this year for a testimony. For 40 days, I gave up listening to the radio, podcasts, and music. Over the past year, I've become so attached to them that I found myself no longer comfortable with silence outside of a church. Due to this "no" to audio media, I have surprised myself in many ways. Numerous times per day I had to say "no" to the urges to turn on a podcast or open Spotify. But I also learned I can, in fact, survive a 6-hour solo car ride without anything playing through my speakers. And, as of the time I'm writing this, I haven't had the urge to listen to audio media for nearly two weeks. Not only am I comfortable with silence once again, but I can slip into deep thought and prayer more readily. The fast was worth it. If you've given up on fasting, I challenge you to challenge yourself. Failing is ok - just get back up. Honestly, that's often part of the process. You have nothing to lose, and plenty of opportunity to gain. *As environmentalists will tell you, giving up meat one day per week is not a huge undertaking. Just eat your grilled cheese and tomato soup or veggie-loaded spaghetti marinara and everything will be fine. We'll even let you have fish. ** It is so humbling because you come face-to-face with your weakness. Very helpful.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Who Do I Think I Am?

What Am I Supporting?

Work v. Play